Friday, February 8, 2013

Who is worthy?

"Who is worthy to open the book and to break its seals?"

"And I saw between the throne, with the four living creatures and the elders
              a     Lamb    standing
as if slain...

And He came and took it out of the right hand of Him who sits on the throne,...
and they sang a new song, saying,
             "Worthy are You to take the book, and to break its seals; for You were slain, and did purchase for God with Your blood men from every tribe and tongue and people and nation."

So, I'm studying the book of Revelation.

Yowzers.

To say that I have avoided this book like one of its plagues might be an understatement.  I was terrified.  I mean, seriously, its crazy.  Beasts and angels and hell, fire and brimstone.  Uh, no thanks, I'll pass.  Rapture please.

No such luck.  I'm not saying there's no "rapture", I just mean to say that God apparently has something to teach me through this thing.  I'm going to try and listen.

Boy is it hard.

My spiritual ADD is one thing, but this book...  It    is    crazy.   I must say, not only am I not fearful of it anymore,  I am falling in love with it. 

IT IS THE REVELATION OF JESUS CHRIST.

Not just to poor old John, but to me.  Why have I avoided it?  Its seriously my kind of book.  God usually has to slap me in the face with something (several times) before I get it.  This book is like a hundred slaps to the face.  It is an in-your-face sort of book. 
I can totally relate.
And I am grateful.

Of all the worries and fears, all the political strife,  all the stresses of being a wife and mom, 
                  there is One who is worthy.

Just this week one of my little ones got the bug.  Twice actually.  Those of you who know me know I hate vomit.... like, loathe it.  I've had to make peace with it recently.  I was chatting with my mom about it, how I couldn't seem to shake the anxiety over it - will she get it again?  will any of us get it?  can I please for the love get new flooring now?....
The next morning I was reading the bible.  I've decided to be nostalgic and go back through the gospels.  Matthew 6 was were my bookmark was.  The word anxious is used at least 5 times.  Whats the remedy for avoiding anxiety?
"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness.."
Isn't it sweet how He was paying attention?  I wrote it on the mirror in our family room.  I've been meditating on it.  Tonight when we were putting the kids to bed, and Madelyn said she thought she might throw up again, I wondered
WHAT IS THE PRACTICAL APPLICATION OF THAT?  Seek first His kingdom and righteousness...  when I stressed about my kid getting a virus?  How does that apply?

His answer...
"Immediately I was in the Spirit; and behold, a throne was standing in heaven, and One sitting on the throne.  And He who was sitting was like a jasper stone and a sardius in appearance; and there was a rainbow around the throne, like an emerald in appearance.  And around the throne were twenty four thrones with elders sitting, clothed in white garments, and golden crowns on their heads.  And from the throne proceeds flashes of lightning and sounds and peals of thunder.  And there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God;  and before the throne there was, as it were, a sea of glass like crystal, and in the center and around the throne, four living creatures full of eyes in front and behind.  .. and day and night they do not cease to say, "Holy Holy Holy is the LORD God, the Almighty, who was and is and who is to come."  And when the living creatures give glory and honor and thanks to Him who sits on the throne, to Him who lives forever and ever, the twenty four elders will fall down before Him who sits on the throne, and will worship Him who lives forever and ever, and will cast their crowns before the throne, saying "worthy are You, our Lord and our God, to receive glory and honor and power; for You did create all things, and because of Your will they existed, and were created."

Slap. in.  the.  face.
Several slaps.

I will go to sleep tonight, hopefully, with visions of cheribum and elders, living creatures and a crystal sea, wings like rushing waters...and hopefully, if my mind can focus enough to muster it, I will fall asleep praying to God   "Holy Holy Holy are You, Lord God Almighty".

Thank you Lord for Your kingdom and righteousness. 
Saturate my brain with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment