Thursday, December 16, 2010

Its the most wonderful time of the year!

What makes it wonderful?

#1 Christ.  It is Christmas after all.  The image of a sweet, precious infant born in a cold, smelly barn, only to die in the prime of His life, every bit as innocent as the day He was born... makes my heart break and rejoice at the same time.

#2  Family time.  I love Christmas movies, our Christmas tree and the boat load of snacks that we've collected from all the parties.  We have made almost every night this month "family night".  Its been a blast.

#3  Quotes from "A Christmas Story".  "Never had the words poured from my petty pencil with such feverous fluidity." "What is it with this irrational prejudice against the Red Rider and his peace maker?"  "The old man stood, quivering, trying to come up with a real stinger.  All he could manage to get out was "NOT A FINGA."  "My old man worked in profanity like other artists might work in oils or clay.  It was his true medium.  A master."

#4  Music.  My life is a constant theme song.  Some days, the CD is on repeat and all I hear is "I think I can, I think I can."  But during the holidays, I am blessed to be bombarded by Christmas music everywhere I go.   The only negatives are sappy songs like the one about the Christmas shoes.  Seriously... I don't want to be reminded of tragedy during this most wonderful time of the year.  I've had enough of my own, and when I want to spiral down into a wormhole of misery, I can just ponder those fond memories.  This is a time of Hope.  Let's listen to happy things, Ok?

#5  Ridiculous holiday sweaters.  I don't know why, but people feel compelled to where them.  Still.  Cracks me up every time I see one.  God bless their sweet souls.  Festive to the end they are.  My kind of people, just different tastes in clothing.  :)

#6  Giving gifts.   Ok, so I like GETTING them too, I won't lie.  But I really do like giving them just as much, if not more.  I love picking out the perfect gift for someone.  And I love being able to give to those who have little or nothing.  If I had a magical sleigh and endless funds, I would take the santa job in a heart beat.  (BTW, I don't believe in santa.)  Bah humbug :)

So many things come to mind that I could be writing for days.  Lets just say that I really do think that this is the most wonderful time of the year.  Following old traditions and making a few new ones, I think this year will be one of the best yet.  I wish all of my dear family and sweet friends a very Merry Christmas and a happy new year!  Go watch a Christmas Story... I know I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment