Thursday, May 10, 2012

Egg shells and pancakes

I have found the greatest pancake recipe!!!  It is supposedly Cracker Barrel's recipe, and Im pretty sure I got it from a website like food.com or some such.  Whatever, I don't care.  I was low on groceries and refusing to go to the store, so I searched my recipe card box and found it.  Like a little nugget of gold. 
WHERE HAS IT BEEN ALL MY LIFE? 
Joy....rapture....bbbutter.

I really like pancakes.

2 cups sifted all purpose flour
2tsp baking soda
1 heaping tsp salt
1tbs sugar
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk (seriously, who has buttermilk hanging out in their fridge?  Just use 2 cups o milk      and 2 tbs white vinegar.  5 minutes and voila.)
Butter for the pan, which should be cast iron, and blanketed with the shiny goodness of all the butter you've put in it.
Mix but don't over mix.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

This recipe made ten pancakes for me, but I can't seem to make anything except plate size pancakes, so...if you have the gift of making sensible proportions it could make more.

About the eggs...
I can't ever seem to crack an egg on the side of a bowl and not get some of the shell inside.  Along the lines of said failure, I can't open cereal boxes or sealed plastic bags without ripping them beyond repair or spilling the contents all over the floor.  I have a hard time with buttons and zippers and lids on sodas.   I've accepted the disability, but I heard the Barefoot Contessa say the other day that she cracks her eggs on the counter so that she can avoid getting any shells in her recipe.

I tried that.


I suppose an entire half shell is better than the tiny fragments I usually end up fishing out. 

Sigh.

No matter, the pancakes made it all better.
Shell free, butter smothered pancakes.


2 comments:

  1. Two words: bbbbuuutter biscuits

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA!!!! Oh I had forgotten about that one :)
    Speaking of bbbbuuutter biscuits, I made Paula Deans sour cream butter biscuits and they are mmmgood. 2 cups self rising flour, 2 sticks of butter melted and 1/2 pint sour cream. Muffin pan and oven on 350...so darn good and buttery.

    ReplyDelete